History of San Ignacio Public Library
In 1936 the Jubilee Public Library established a "sub-library" in the town of El Cayo San Ignacio. It consisted of books which were kept in the District Commissioner's Office. In 1947 there were 30 registered members, both juvenile and adults. In 1951, the sub-library of San Ignacio was moved from the Commissioner's Office to the lower flat of the El Cayo Town Board. In 1951, the sub-library of San Ignacio was moved from the Commissioner's Office to the lower flat of the El Cayo Town Board.
In the subsequent years there was a need for more space since the library was already undersized for the number of patrons it served. An ambitious project began; which was to provide the population of San Ignacio and surrounding areas with a new public library. The Mayor of San Ignacio/Santa Elena, John August was approached and the new library site was identified being the dilapidated meat market. With the tremendous contribution from the Social Investment Fund, The Rotary Club, San Ignacio/ Santa Elena Town Council and the Belize National Library Service and Information System (BNLSIS) , the new library became a reality and held its grand inauguration on November 3rd 2010.
Since its grand opening, the library has seen an increase in juvenile and adult membership as well as visits from everyone who enjoys the space, books and best view in the San Ignacio downtown area. The library with its change has also established good rapport with the community and surrounding schools with the various programs that are now being recognized as current events.
The San Ignacio Public Library has made a name for its self and continues to build a bridge nationally and internationally with those who are advocate for reading and library friendly. Many donations have been made and continuous support is being given to the work being done for the community. The San Ignacio Public Library (SIPL) remains committed to the promotion of an informed, aware, and literate society that fosters our national development and cultural heritage.