- About Us
- Online Educational Resources (for all ages)
- Belizean Research
- Allan Arthurs Public Library
- Belmopan Public Library
- Benque Viejo Public Library
- Corozal Town Public Library
- Ignacia Cacho Public Library
- Independence Public Library
- Leo Bradley Library
- National Heritage Library
- Punta Gorda Public Library
- San Ignacio Public Library
- San Pedro Public Library
- Sandy Hunter Public Library
- Santa Elena Public Library
Reading is Development, Development is Reading
Punta Gorda Public Library
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
It is the duty of the public library to give persons of all ages the chance to keep abreast of the times in all matters, and more importantly take books to the people through a network of service points. Although it proved to be unsustainable, an attempt to do this was made in 1936 when books in wooden boxes were lodged at District Commissioners’ offices in the towns of Corozal, Stann Creek, Punta Gorda, El Cayo and Orange Walk. Because these ‘sub-libraries’ were managed by busy civil servants in the government administrative offices, after a time they became dormant and hardly anyone in the community knew of them. A definite step to introduce well-appointed library service points into the towns and villages was made in 1953 with the re-organization of the Punta Gorda branch which involved:
- Removal of the Library from the District Commissioner’s office.
- The formation of a local library committee to manage the affairs of the Library.
- The engagement of an interested and enthusiastic person to run the Library.
The Punta Gorda branch proved, by its increased activities during the following year, that enhancement along similar lines for the other town branches could be successfully achieved.
The Punta Gorda Library had occupied a portion of the Customs building since 1954, and during 1966 the Town Board acquired the use of the old hospital building to house the library. With the allocation of a large wing of the building for the Library, a better service was given to the citizens of the town. In 1974, the National Library Service made a formal request to the Baron Bliss Trust for a library building, which resulted in the Trust granting $70,000.00 for the project. The building, which was constructed by the Public Works Department, was completed in 1978 and inaugurated on December 16 by the then Minister of Education, Hon. Guadalupe Pech. The Library building was renovated and expanded in 2011 when it was officially reopened on May 18.
The Punta Gorda Library is very active in sponsoring a Lecture Series on various relevant national topics; as well as facilitating educational and informational community activities within the Library.
|Senior Library Assistant:||Ms. Elzena Labriel|
|Address:||Front Street, Punta Gorda Town|